Skip to main content

Messed with Tax Return

Concord, CA |

during 2011 i lived in CA. My Tax Return Preparer messed my tax return by submitting false wages(Low Wages than W2). Yesterday only i got a letter from IRS to pay remaining tax + Penalty. I can pay this but will this affect my future visa status or any consequences ? how can i check any mess happened for CA State Tax ? I have filled with the same Person for this year ? how can i fix this year tax return as well ? Thanks in Advance.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You can fix the 2012 tax return by filing an amended return, form 1040-X and submitting it as soon as possible. If you can submit before April 15th, that would be best.

    Good luck.

    Marty Davidoff,, 732-274-1600. This answer is provided for general information only. You should seek advice from an attorney or tax professional.

  2. Mr. Davidoff has given you an excellent answer. You should file an amended federal return and you can request a copy of your California return from the FTB. If in Google you type in California Franchise Tax Board filing individual returns you will find that the web site has a live chat feature that may prove helpful.

  3. I agree that you should file an amended return.

    As for your visa, I tell clients to answer honestly when they are asked about any tax problems and to provide documentation that you are working on or have resolved any tax issues. Proof of payment of the previous years tax liability and a copy of the amended return will probably suffice.

    I also recommend you find a new tax preparer. Ask for recommendations from family and friends. Office number: (860) 255-7423 Website: Our reply to your question has not created an attorney-client relationship. It should not be considered legal advice. You should contact an Attorney who can give you legal advice after acquainting themselves with the specifics of your case.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics