Memorundum of Points and Authorities for a Petition for Serious and Willful Misconduct

Asked almost 2 years ago - Burbank, CA

I'm an unrepresented injured worker who has been recently acquitted by the jury from malicious and fraudulent crimes filed by my employer and insurance company as having committed insurance fraud. The stress they've put me through is unbearable. I was already recovering from severe depression and now I'm back to square one. They were trying to use these fraudulent charges as a peremptory strategy to preclude me from being paid. Not only did they lose in the criminal court, but it became very clear that this was a blatant conspiracy. The defense attorney and the claims adjuster came to testify against me and ended up helping me. I now want to file for serious and willful misconduct since going through this malicious prosecution has worsened my condition. Where can I get the S&W template?

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

1

Answered . There is no "template" for what you want to do and, in fact, malicious prosecutions are extremely difficult to prove. You will need counsel, plain and simple, even to survive the initial rounds of motions to dismiss.

The complaining witness did not "lose." The prosecution lost. And the employer and insurance company did not bring the criminal case against you; that was the prosecutor's decision. An acquittal does not mean "innocent" and it will not suffice to prove that there was no basis for the criminal action. By itself the acquittal will not prove that the prosecution, the complaining witness, or any of the witnesses committed any unlawful act.

Think for a moment about all of the people who are acquitted in criminal court. Do you think that they then go on to win judgments to repay their expenses and sufferings for that experience. In almost all circumstances, the acquitted criminal defendant will not have a viable claim for restitution for the damages incurred by the necessity to defend against prosecution. But there is always the exceptional case...

See an attorney for specific advice and assistance here if you have any intentions of really making this effort fly.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

1

Answered . There is no template. Sit down with an attorney to see if you have any cause of action available.