MEMORANDUM OF POINTS AND AUTHORITIES IN SUPPORT OF MOTION TO VACATE DEFAULT JUDGMENT...

Asked over 2 years ago - Sanger, CA

When completing my "MEMORANDUM OF POINTS AND AUTHORITIES IN SUPPORT OF MOTION TO VACATE DEFAULT JUDGMENT" due to not receiving my original summons on a civil lawsuit, can you tell me if the beggining is correct?

"MEMORANDUM OF POINTS AND AUTHORITIES IN SUPPORT OF MOTION TO
VACATE DEFAULT JUDGMENT

THE COURT SHOULD GRANT THE MOTION TO SET ASIDE THE DEFAULT AND DEFAULT JUDGMENT UNDER CODE OF CIVIL PROCEDURE SECTION 473(b) BECAUSE THE DEFAULT JUDGMENT WAS TAKEN AGAINST DEFENDANT THROUGH HIS/HER ______________________[MISTAKE and/or INADVERTENCE and/or SURPRISE and/or EXCUSABLE NEGLECT], AND JUSTICE REQUIRES DETERMINATION OF THE ISSUES AFTER A HEARING ON THE MERITS OF THE CASE." (my civil procedure is due to not receiving the original summons which was mailed to my mothers address)

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . No. If the reason you are seeking to set aside the default and vacate default judgment is because you were never served with the summons, then the basis for your motion is Code of Civil Procedure section 473.5, not section 473(b).

In California, a defendant who has been defaulted by failure to respond to a summons and complaint might have an opportunity to set aside the default based upon Code of Civil Procedure § 473.5.

“When service of a summons has not resulted in actual notice to a party in time to defend the action and a default or default judgment has been entered against him or her in the action, he or she may serve and file a notice of motion to set aside the default or default judgment and for leave to defend the action.” (California Code of Civil Procedure § 473.5(a). )

The motion must be served within the earlier of two years after entry of a default judgment against him or her; or 180 days after service on him or her of a written notice that the default or default judgment has been entered.

The moving party should submit a sworn declaration as to when he or she first learned of this action, whether he or she was ever served with the summons or complaint in the action, and whether he or she ever received notice of entry of default.

“A notice of motion to set aside a default or default judgment and for leave to defend the action shall designate as the time for making the motion a date prescribed by subdivision (b) of Section 1005, and it shall be accompanied by an affidavit showing under oath that the party's lack of actual notice in time to defend the action was not caused by his or her avoidance of service or inexcusable neglect. The party shall serve and file with the notice a copy of the answer, motion, or other pleading proposed to be filed in the action.” (California Code of Civil Procedure § 473.5(b).)

2. Paul Y. Lee

2

1

Answered . The beginning you have set forth seems reasonably okay. But keep in mind you will need (1) notice of motion and motion, and (2) declaration(s) in support of your motion, as well as the memorandum of points and authorities. You will not prevail under CCP 473(b) unless your declaration contains explicit facts demonstrating mistake, inadvertence or excusable neglect. In addition, your memorandum of points and authorities should cite and discuss case law which supports your proposition that the facts you recite in the declaration constitute mistake, inadvertence or excusable neglect. There are California cases which separately discuss each of these three factors.

3. Kevin Samuel Sullivan

Pro

1

1

Answered . If you were never served with the summons and complaint such that you did not receive notice in time to defend the lawsuit you should also add in an argument under code of civil procedure section 473.5 as well. Contact a local lawyer you should be able to get a lawyer to do it right for about 300 or 400.00 dollars. Good luck.