Medicare late enrollment penalty question

Asked about 1 year ago - Phoenix, AZ

Lets say a disabled person enrolled late in medicare part b, and currently pays the ten percent extra penalty. Then, the spouse obtains coverage under her employer which becomes primary coverage. Part B is cancelled. Could part B later down the road be re enrolled under the special circumstances and avoid the late penalty since the recipient has creditable coverage elsewhere?

1. Michael T Warshaw

Answered . As I understand the law, once you are late, you are assessed a penalty of 10% per full 12 month period. I am unaware of any way to "undo" that late enrollment penalty. The penalty does not apply if you receive insurance from an employer or, as you indicate from a spouse, so suspending your Medicare B coverage for your spouse's insurance coverage may restart the clock, but I am unaware of the regulations that would permit that to occur. You might contact your local SSA office and ask that question.