Medicare late enrollment penalty question

Phoenix, AZ |

Lets say a disabled person enrolled late in medicare part b, and currently pays the ten percent extra penalty. Then, the spouse obtains coverage under her employer which becomes primary coverage. Part B is cancelled. Could part B later down the road be re enrolled under the special circumstances and avoid the late penalty since the recipient has creditable coverage elsewhere?

As I understand the law, once you are late, you are assessed a penalty of 10% per full 12 month period. I am unaware of any way to "undo" that late enrollment penalty. The penalty does not apply if you receive insurance from an employer or, as you indicate from a spouse, so suspending your Medicare B coverage for your spouse's insurance coverage may restart the clock, but I am unaware of the regulations that would permit that to occur. You might contact your local SSA office and ask that question.

The content of the this submission is intended to provide general information on the topic presented, and is offered with the understanding that the author is not rendering any legal or professional services or advice. This submission is not a substitute for legal advice. Should you require such services, retain competent legal counsel.

Social security topics

Recommended articles about Social security