Medical Malpractice Settlement Received ...

Asked over 2 years ago - Hyattsville, MD

My father passed as a a result of an improper surgical procedure. The insurance company has agreed to settle out of court and pay the policy limits to avoid the filing of a suit. I am my father's only child and have been appointed the representative. My grandmother is the other beneficiary who has a severe problem with gambling. Her brother passed a few years ago and she inherited $30,000. She went to various casinos and depleted the money within 2 months. I fear that with a larger amount (six figure settlement) she will do the same. As the representative, what legal rights do I have to enforce that she receive structured payments on a monthly basis. This money was a result of the death of my father and I wanted to ensure that it is used properly.

Additional information

My grandmother and I are very close and want to take the best possible route to not damage the relationship while ensuring that she is responsible with the money.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Reach an agreement with grandma where the money stays in trust for both of you. A certain amount can be disbursed initially and yearly thereafter.

    Jonathan N. Portner, Esquire, Portner & Shure, P.A. Maryland and Virginia Personal Injury Attorneys. This... more
  2. 4

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Are the two of you represented by the same attorney? Discuss these issues with your attorney. Generally speaking it really isn't up to you how the proceeds are paid to your grandmother and unless she is declared inconpetent then it is her choice.

  3. 3

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I agree with my fine fellow attorney. On a side note, anytime anyone says you are getting the "policy limits" ask for the declaration page for the policy that shows it.

    I am an Arizona attorney. AVVO does not pay us for our responses. Simply because I responded to your question... more
  4. 3

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Speak to your attorney about working with an estate planning attorney and financial planner in your area to put together a "settlement trust." In many cases, financial products such as annuities, etc. are used to prevent dissipation of assets from such settlements, and of course there is the implemetation of death benefits, which is likely important given your grandmother's advanced age. My Maryland admitted colleagues can certainly assist.

    The foregoing is not legal advice nor is it in any manner whatsoever meant to create or impute an attorney/client... more

Related Topics

Medical malpractice

Medical malpractice occurs when a medical professional's negligence causes injury to a patient. Incorrect actions and inaction can both be forms of negligence.

Jonathan Michael Rolnick

Medical Malpractice Case

There is an expectation when we see a physician or go to the hospital that a certain "reasonable" standard of care will be provided. In most cases, this is exactly what happens. There are... more

Surgical malpractice and personal injury

Surgical malpractice occurs when a medical professional makes an error during surgery that was both preventable and beyond the normal risks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,180 answers this week

3,641 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,180 answers this week

3,641 attorneys answering