Skip to main content

Medical Malpractice-Counselor breached my confidentiality RCW 70.02.020 by writing declaration for ex-wife.

Redmond, WA |

I visited a marriage counselor in May 2011 and signed the confidentiality agreement, during a 3 year highly contentious divorce proceeding 100% focused on child custody. In a recent attempt to Modify the custodial agreement, the counselor wrote a declaration for my ex-wife, without my authorization. I am willing to pay for the litigation, not seeking a contingency.

Attorney Answers 3


You should start consulting with lawyers (telephone should suffice) to determine your rights, and find an attorney that you would work well with. Make sure you understand his/her fee structure, and what this may cost you before you sign any contract.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


This isn't really a medical malpractice claim. It is a breach of confidentiality -- which implicates federal (HIPPA) and state laws. Often times there are statutory damages in addition to actual damages you sustained. I would find an attorney in your area that deals with this type of litigation. Best of luck.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree


I agree you should talk with an attorney. The rules regarding confidentiality are very strict and important.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics