Medical Malpractice: Refuse responses to Claimant's request for production of document, claimed they are part of different group

Asked over 3 years ago - Irvine, CA

1. Health Plan is the respondent not Doctors (refused to give resumes, field license, work schedules, sign contract w/ deceased) stated client privileges, trade secret as health plan only provide medical/hospital service thru contracts with other HMO hospital and Medical Doctor Group, so all of those above requests were called "Speculation" "Irrevelance" "Oppression" "to the case.
2. Stated treated Doctors are not proper Parties for this arbitration to avoid all Malpractice responsibility
3. Caught them lie on Refused to produce as they stated Request info already in the possession of Claimant -untrue, cant access Doctors' resume.
4. Stated violated the Code of Civil 2031.030(c)(1) request on their business record.
5. Stated violated the Evidence Code 1157 & CCP 2034 on Medical Witnesses

Additional information

All above sounded very bogus to us as it was part of the standard lawsuit request per my Law Professor. I am rephrased the Discovery's questions to see if they still respond to the same thing or not but the same time, I would plan to file a motion of compel on advices earlier at this message board but (A) need to find out how to able to go around to get Doctors' resumes, work schedule, etc as HMO already claimed Drs are not part of this Arbitration. Can I request a subpoena the other entities to collect the inquiry info and record? This is an arbitration so request would be send to the retired Judge? (B) As they refused to produce their Star Medical Witnesses for us to interrogate for this arbitration, can they bring in later? (C) Can we take depo to those Drs (who treated the Deceased) even the HMO lawyers stressed Drs are not part of the lawsuit complaint? How to get around? My former attorneys had put those Drs in the initial complaint (unless they screwed us up after took $$$ & ran). Pls advise.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Thomas Michael Ferlauto

    Contributor Level 6

    Answered . I do not have all the facts and do not understand the basis of their objections. However, generally, they are required to provide you with the responsive, non-objectionable documents in their possession custody or control. If they have the documents, and the documents are within the broad scope of discovery and are not otherwise privileged, they need to produce them. It does not matter if the doctors work for another group or what not. If they refuse to produce documents (and assuming their objections are not valid) you need to bring a motion to compel. However, it is possible that you have propounded discovery on the wrong entity. Either the right entity needs to be added as a party, or if they have no liability, then they can be served with a third party subpoena. I think you mentioned you are in arbitration. In that case, you or your lawyer should contact the arbitrator about the issuance of subpoenas.

    This answer is for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon until your entire matter is... more
  2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Without having read your discovery responses and the responses, it is impossible to tell you how the court might rule.

    Moreover, I strongly suggest that if you are having discovery disputes which might necessitate the filing of one or more motions to compel further responses and request for sanctions, it is imperative that you hire an attorney to do so. The court can only award monetary sanctions to cover attorney's fees but if you are representing yourself, all you would be entitled to recover on a discovery motion is the $40 filing fee.

    The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice.... more
  3. Steven Irwin Milligram

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . There really is no answer to your questions directly without knowing the specifics of your claim, the specific demands that have been made and responses received. As this is presently in some type of litgated forum., you should bring it to the attention of whoever is presiding over this matter for a determination

    Disclaimer: Mr. Milligram is an attorney licensed to practice law in the States of New York and New Jersey. This... more

Related Topics

Medical malpractice

Medical malpractice occurs when a medical professional's negligence causes injury to a patient. Incorrect actions and inaction can both be forms of negligence.

Jonathan Michael Rolnick

Medical Malpractice Case

There is an expectation when we see a physician or go to the hospital that a certain "reasonable" standard of care will be provided. In most cases, this is exactly what happens. There are... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,322 answers this week

3,377 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,322 answers this week

3,377 attorneys answering