Medical Malpractice- Pancreatic Cancer

Asked over 2 years ago - Philadelphia, PA

My relative has been diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic pancreatic cancer. He had various symptoms of the disease (dark urine, blood clot, lower back pain, etc), in addition to being a former smoker (quit 20 yrs ago). The cancer wasn't diagnosed until he exhibited jaundice and severe itching. There is also a family history of breast/ ovarian cancer (which we now know can bring on pancreatic cancer in men). The tumor is unable to be removed and has already spread to other organs. The doctors gave him 6-12 months. My relative always had his yearly physical and he was also followed by a hematologist to monitor his blood (due to the blood clots). Pancreatic cancer is a "silent killer" but the symptoms were there, and written throughout his medical reports. Can we sue for malpractice???

1. Joseph Jonathan Brophy

4

Answered . I am sorry your relative has received such a grim diagnosis. There are very few successful medical malpractice cases based on delayed diagnosis of pancreatic cancer, because it is rapidly fatal in the overwhelming majority of cases. Early diagnosis is rare, and even early diagnosed cases are usually incurable.That said, every case is different, and your relative would be well advised to consult with an experienced medical malpractice lawyer and discuss the specific facts in his case. Such consultations are generally free.

2. Scott B Cooper

1

Answered . This is probably something your relative should contact a medical neligence lawyer about immediately. This type of cancer is very aggressive but if there is a concern about mis-disdiagnosis then given the prognosis the person should call an attorney and consult.

Scott Cooper
    scooper@schmidtkramer.com
    717-232-6300

Pro

Answered . If the doctor failed to diagnose this, then yes. You can read about failure to diagnose cancer in detail on my website.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  4. David McCormack

1

Answered . I echo the condolences and thoughts of others - pancreatic cancer is an extremely agressive form of cancer that make cases involving failure to diagnose it very difficult in most circumstances. Should your family have questions, you should consult with an experienced medical malpractice attorney in your area.