Medical Condition

Asked about 1 year ago - Highlands Ranch, CO

Hi, I have a medical condition. I have to pay over $200 a month in prescriptions and pay $40 every two months to visit my doctor. Can I ask the court to reduce my child support payments because of my new disease? Its hard to pay my Child support when I am trying to keep up with all these medical bills.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Stephen Clark Harkess

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is possible to make the request. You may have to show that you have trimmed everything else out of your budget besides absolute necessities in order to justify a deviation from the child support schedules. Otherwise, while the Court is sympathetic to the cost of treating your medical condition, the Court also strongly believes that your children deserve to be supported.

    You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney... more
  2. Emily Therese Roberts

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . The Court and the State have a vested interest in making sure that children have financial support from both parents. As Mr. Harnkess said, you would be asking for a deviation from the calculated support. Deviations have to be in a child's best interests. I would suggest that you speak with an attorney, as much will depend on the amount of the deviation and factual circumstances regarding your child's needs.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,829 answers this week

3,038 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,829 answers this week

3,038 attorneys answering