Medical bills that should have been paid by attorney are showing up on credit score

Asked 8 months ago - Tallahassee, FL

I settled a case a year ago in an auto accident. The settlement had money taken out by my attorney to pay for my medical bills. I just reviewed my credit and 3 different medical bills that money was taken out for have not been paid. The total cost is nearly $38k and obviously was a huge hit on my credit. What are my options for getting my bills paid as they should have and possibly collecting damages for this affecting my credit?

1. Eugene P. Castagliuolo

3

Answered . First things first. Go back to your auto accident attorney and find out what happened. It's most probably a mix-up which he/she should be able to explain and straighten out. But if not a simple mix-up and your attorney screwed up, you may have a cause of action against that attorney. Again, first things first. Don't jump to conclusions based upon a credit report, as they are notoriously incorrect a large percentage of the time.

2. Richard Glenn Elie

1

Answered . You have to ask your lawyer for the cancelled checks and contest it with the credit reporting agency.

You can also have your lawyer write the providers and ask them to have the derogatory info removed.