Skip to main content

Medical bills that should have been paid by attorney are showing up on credit score

Tallahassee, FL |
Filed under: Credit score

I settled a case a year ago in an auto accident. The settlement had money taken out by my attorney to pay for my medical bills. I just reviewed my credit and 3 different medical bills that money was taken out for have not been paid. The total cost is nearly $38k and obviously was a huge hit on my credit. What are my options for getting my bills paid as they should have and possibly collecting damages for this affecting my credit?

Attorney Answers 2


First things first. Go back to your auto accident attorney and find out what happened. It's most probably a mix-up which he/she should be able to explain and straighten out. But if not a simple mix-up and your attorney screwed up, you may have a cause of action against that attorney. Again, first things first. Don't jump to conclusions based upon a credit report, as they are notoriously incorrect a large percentage of the time.

I am primarily a credit card defense lawyer, but I also handle a variety of other consumer issues and general civil litigation. I hope you found my answer helpful. If you did, please click "helpful" and/or "best answer," because doing so helps my Avvo rating. Please also understand that answering this question doesn't make me your lawyer, and my answer is not even an "initial consultation" with me. In answering your question(s), I am merely giving you VERY GENERAL ADVICE based upon your VERY GENERAL QUESTION. If I indicated that you need to see a lawyer personally, then PLEASE DO SO. Good luck to you!

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


You have to ask your lawyer for the cancelled checks and contest it with the credit reporting agency.

You can also have your lawyer write the providers and ask them to have the derogatory info removed.

This is a public forum. Any questions or answers published here should not be construed as the giving or receiving of legal advice or the formation of any attorney-client relationship. You should consult with a competent attorney in the jurisdiction where your legal issues are pending and get good, solid legal advice. This being a public forum, those answers you do read are merely given for informational purposes only.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

1 comment

Jon Lowell Martin

Jon Lowell Martin


Ask your accident attorney for copies of waivers signed by the various payees so you can provide proof to the credit bureau that those bills were settled by agreement.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics