Skip to main content

Medical bills came to 25038.08, physical therapy for 40 visits. Fair amount to ask for on pain and suffering

Sulphur, LA |

Medical bills came to $25038.08 plus missing 3 months of my college education and Im trying to get an idea on what a baseline amount for my pain and suffering that I should ask for.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Don't play lawyer, retain one. Why get a tiny nuisance settlement, when you can get maximum compensation with a lawyer? Just find a top-rated Avvo lawyer with a low contingency fee...

  2. Your bills do not tell me what your injuries were, did you require surgery? More than once? What are the permanent damages. It is hard to tell you without knowing more, consult an attorney in your area.

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.

  3. Based on your medical expenses it is clear you have a very serious claim. You will be outmatched by the insurance company and it will take advantage of your inexperience if you try to settle this yourself.
    You need to retain an experienced Louisiana lawyer to assist you in making sure you obtain top dollar for your claim.

    This Reply which is intended to be helpful to the Avvo Community, does not constitute legal advice and does not create any attorney-client relationship. You are urged to seek the advice of an attorney as soon as possible to protect whatever rights you may have.

  4. Contact a local area personal injury attorney. Most offer a free initial consultation. You could contact a couple of attorneys and then choose and retain one based on experience and how comfortable you feel with that attorney. To pursue this on our own will not provide you with an adequate resolution of your claim as the insurance companies know how to avoid reasonable settlements. Hire an attorney. Sorry to hear about your injuries. Best of luck.

    Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The response herein is general legal and business analysis.. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

  5. Some lawyers seek medicals X 3 to calculate general damages. But, that is a very VERY rough estimate. It sounds as though you have had a serious accident. You should speak to an attorney and quickly. You only have one year from the date of the accident.

    PLEASE NOTE: This "Answer" does not create an attorney-client relationship. I am NOT your attorney. Also, my law firm has NOT been engaged to represent you in any capacity. The response is in the form of legal education and is ONLY intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Often times the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. If you are unclear about this or any of the content in this "Answer", I would encourage you to seek the advice of legal counsel.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics