Medicaid Benefits for Green Card Holders

Leesburg, FL |
Filed under: Immigration Green cards

My dad received his green card and just moved to Florida. I am trying to understand all the medicaid benefits he may be eligible for before his medicare kicks in 5 years from now. He is 68 years old. We currently have a pretty decent but expensive private insurance but we want to take advantage of cheaper state sponsored benefits. Ay advise or referrals to local medicaid attorneys would be appreciated.

1. To qualify for Medicaid, dad needs to have worked and contributed to the system in the US for at least 40 quarters,I.e. 10 years.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

2. Green card grant you privilege to live in US permanently if following certain rules but it does not automatically grant you any other government benefits. All other rules and laws must be followed.

3. I agree with my colleague. It depends how long he has worked in the United States as to whether he is eligible for Medicaid.

www.gassonlaw.com - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement letter with me, you should not consider this information to be legal advice.