Medicaid

Asked over 2 years ago - Charlotte, NC

My mother-in-law would like to go to nursing home. Her house is still in her name but has been willed to her daughter. Her deceased spouse was a Korean War veteran. Medicaid seems to be difficult to obtain even though she qualifies income wise. Lot of red tape. What can the family do to obtain assistance with nursing home care expenses?

1. Doris Jordan Wiggen

1

Best Answer

Answered . I highly recommend your mother-in-law speak with an elder law attorney in her area to see what options may be available to help with nursing home costs. As the surviving spouse of a wartime veteran, your mother-in-law may be eligible for some assistance through the VA. Eligible surviving spouses may be entitled to up to $1,094.00 per month to help pay for health care costs. However, if your mother-in-law needs nursing home care, that may not be enough to fully cover her care. If she is considering applying for Medicaid, an experienced elder law attorney can handle the application process for her. Your mother-in-law's house will not count as an asset when she applies for Medicaid, but it will be subject to estate recovery at her death, meaning that the house may have to be sold in order to pay back Medicaid for your mother-in-law's care. Your mother-in-law cannot gift the house during her lifetime because that will cause a penalty period if she is in need of Medicaid now. However, your mother-in-law's attorney can advise her on the best options to protect the house from estate recovery. To find an elder law attorney in your area, you can do a search through the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys or ElderCounsel. I've posted links to those organizations below.

2. Cheryl K. David

Pro

Answered . I recommend that you get help from an Elder Law Attorney. With proper planning Medicaid help can be obtained ifyour mother-in-law qualifies income and asse wise. Often the home can also be protected. Please let us know if we can help.

3. David L. Carrier

Pro

Answered . There are plenty of lawyers on this website who can help you cut through the red tape to get the benefits your mother in law deserves... It won't be cheap, but neither is the nursing home and with proper counsel your mother in law can avoid nursing home poverty, get the care she needs, and keep her dignity...