Mediation was a failure. now going to trial for judge to decide my outcome.

Asked over 2 years ago - Nashville, TN

mediation was a waste of 4.5 hours. husband makes twice as much as i do (receives regular pay, military retirement and VA disability), he does not want to pay any alimony, stick me with majority of bills. curious how the judge will view this as i thought it would be an almost equitable division of income (income and military retirement) and property and thought alimony would as well be so i can pay the bills, that he helped create. i have an attorney, but not getting a good feeling about how a judge can decide my fate in a trial in one day. will he look at everything, or will he just rule and will it be fair. i have asked for legal separation, he is wanting a divorce, and thinks he will get a divorce just because he says so. i never wanted any of this. Need any advice!!

1. Ronald Walter Kim

Answered . The facts you present are not very complete, a lot depends on how long you were married, whether you signed a pre-nuptual agreement, whether you have minor children, what you did during marriage, work, homemaker, etc.

2. Lauren Wilson Castles

Pro

Answered . You would need to provide more information to determine whether alimony would be appropriate. Alimony is based on the length of the marriage, your need and his ability to pay. Several factors go into this determination such as your ability to work, degrees/special training and what you did for work during the marriage.

Also, he will be granted a divorce if he requests one. You cannot force him to settle for a legal separation, even if you do not desire the divorce.