Mediation was a circus. What kind of lawyer for trial should I hire?

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

Mediation was a circus. I noticed from the beginning the mediator was favoring the other party. My wife makes the same amount of money than me, and he was putting child support about $ 500. Then, the other party did not wanted to give me the weeks I am entitled during the Summer. The Gal who at was first on my side, she is different now. She does not wants to give me my 50 50 parental rights because we do not get along she said. Who can get along with a woman who think she is perfect, has abused me, and her own child? Well, no agreement was reached as I expected and now we will have to go to trial. I guess I will need a lawyer now. I guess other lawyers take advantage of individuals acting Pro Se. Is a family lawyer what I will need?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Karen Tallent Munzer


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Consult with the Miami Dade bar association for a referral to a good family law attorney. If your mediation was difficult pro se, your trial will be exceedingly hard. The Dade bar has a low cost legal panel . Get help for the trial.

    ** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** This response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attorney-client... more
  2. Lawrence Erwin Brownstein

    Contributor Level 6

    Answered . You do need a family law attorney. Find one you feel comfortable with as soon as possible to allow him/her the most amount of time to come up to speed on the case. Do not wait till the last minute to find one.

  3. Inga L Stevens

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes, you need a family lawyer. You can use the search tool here on Avvo to find a local attorney experienced in family law.

    Attorney Inga Stevens is licensed in Maine. She provides general information on No attorney-client... more
  4. James CW Bock


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . I would suggest you speak with any friends who have been through divorce and ask them for referrals. Specifically ask them what they admired about their attorneys and what bothered them. You will need to find a trial lawyer that fits your needs. You ay also contact the state bar for a referral and the meanings of family law specialist designations and labels. based upon the procedural posture you describe, you need a zealous trial advocate, not a collaborative specialist. Good luck.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Child Support

Child support is the money paid from one parent to another for expenses resulting from the other parent’s custody of a child or children.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,286 answers this week

3,103 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,286 answers this week

3,103 attorneys answering