Mediation or Litigation for child custody?

Asked about 2 years ago - Salt Lake City, UT

My (ex) husband and I are getting divorced and have to figure out who gets custody of our child. Is it better to have mediation or litigation?

1. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

1

2

Answered . Litigation is always an adversarial process, mediation is an alternative that works very well for many families. It is impossible to know which is best for you without knowing you or anything about your circumstances. I suggest you consult with local attorneys who know you or who at least may be able to speak with you on the phone for more information about which approach may be right for you. Some attorneys do both litigation and mediation, so look for those attorneys first. You can find attorneys by searching among the profiles here on Avvo. Good luck!.

2. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with the previous answer.

However, some states have implemented what's called "collaborative law" which kind of takes the adversarial nature out of the process and allows families to come to resolutions which are best for all parties involved. In Maryland, there's been a lot of success with it. It's similar to mediation but a different approach is taken.

You may want to see if that's something you can explore, especially if you're trying to avoid the headaches that litigation can often bring.

3. Mordechai Elazar Book

Answered . I agree with both of the above, and merely point out that mediation (if both sides are willing to come to agreement, and the mediator is good) can avoid not only the cost of litigation, particularly if settlement is likely to come at the end of that process, as often happens, but also the litigation process often creates a battle siege mentality that likely will not go away at the end of litigation. At that point, you are still tied to each other through the child, and parents and child will almost certainly suffer going forward. Still, it's a good idea to have a lawyer advising you throughout the mediation so you know your rights, your alternatives, and what an acceptable settlement might look like.