Medallion signature guarantee for an estate in Pittsburgh

Asked almost 3 years ago - Pittsburgh, PA

I'm executor of an estate where the decedent had a mutual fund. In order to sell the shares and transfer the proceeds to the estate, I need to acquire a Medallion signature guarantee. The bank for the estate bank account doesn't offer this service. I've gone to other banks and they won't provide it either since I'm not a customer.

Does anybody have a solution? Am I going to have to suck it up and open a bank account so I can get this done? If I don't sell the shares and they are transferred to me when the estate is closed (I'm the sole heir), will I still need a Medallion signature guarantee to sell the shares.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Martin L Bearg

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . As you have learned, a Medallion signature is given by a financial institution, which makes that institution liable for the full value of the shares/cash in an account. That is why a Medallion signature rather than merely a notarization is required.

    If you have your own account, as opposed to the estate's account, in a bank or you have a personal brokerage account, your bank or brokerage firm may be willing to provide the guaranty so that you can redeem/sell the shares.

    I suspect you are dealing with a mutual fund. If this is the case, there are no physical shares, as there are with publicly traded stocks, that you can request be transferred to you or another broker.

    Dealing with financial institutions can be a pain in the you know what, but the best policy to avoid aggravation is to go with the flow. If you need to open an account at a local bank to secure the Medallion signature, do so otherwise you will spend hours and/or legal fees to get the result you want, and probably still wind-up having to secure the Medallion signature.

    The foregoing is not intended to be legal advice upon which you may rely as I have not been retained for this purpose.
  2. Steven J. Fromm

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Here is an idea. Go to a large financial fund like Fidelity Investments. Open the estate account with them. You can have free checking with them, free checks and transfer the mutual fund in kind to them if you so choose. And most importantly they will provide the Medallion signature guarantee with no questions asked and with no fee. Does this sound like a good idea to you?

    Also you may want to have an estates attorney assist you in the estate administration. For a sense of what is involved in administering an estate in most states, please see the following two articles: Estate & Probate Administration: Do Not Try This On Your Own at and Pennsylvania Probate & Estate Administration: Executor Duties at

    Hope this helps.

    Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is , his website is and his blog is

    LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia... more
  3. Robert Louis Feliciani III

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If the previous attorney's recommendation don't pan out, open a new account with a bank that also provides investment services. A bank that provides investments will also provide the medallion guarantee.

    This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,191 answers this week

2,740 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,191 answers this week

2,740 attorneys answering