Mechanics lien? Storage lien? What do I do?

Asked over 1 year ago - Round Lake, IL

I got a car from a guy and he told me that he had lost the title. Come to find out he never had the title and the loan is old enough that its at its third collection agency. I understand that I could sue the guy I got the car from but he has 0 money and that still does not solve the car issue. I have had possession of the car for over 14 months and the lien holders know this. They told me they would not be seeking to repo the car. What can I do? Mechanics lien? Storage lien?
P.S. I'm in Illinois

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Robert Allen Shipley

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . You should go to the Secretary of State with all documentation pertaining to the transaction, including from the lienholder, especially if the lienholder is releasing its claim. The Secretary of State would then be able to assist you in determining what you would have to do to perfect the title in your name.

    This answer is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be nor should it be considered the providing of... more
  2. Robert Alan Cohen


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . I assume that the collection company is not asking you to repay the loan. As far as title is concerned, there are hoops you will need to jump through, but you can probably get a duplicate title for the car if the Secretary of State is convinced that the true owner cannot be found. That is the real question, namely, is the true owner going to show up some day and demand the car? I do not think either a mechanic's lien or a storage lien are applicable, but if the idea is that you were going to find a way to assert a formal ownership interest, I give you high marks for creative thinking. I think you are going to have to go the distance on this, or forget about and hope the original owner does, too.

    Answering this question does not set up a attorney-client relationship between us. My comments do not constitute... more
  3. Guy W Bluff


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . First thing, you need to demonstrate that you are the current owner, obtain a duplicate title. Question - how have you registered the vehicle and insured the vehicle up until this time without the title in your possession?

    Attorney is Licensed in Arizona, California, and Colorado only. The opinions and comments offered are in the... more
  4. R. Russell O'Rourke

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . If you have had it for 14 months, how did you get new plates?

    Do you know who owns the car? If you do, you could contact them, perhaps through an attorney to shield your identity, if they will turn over the title for some nominal fee. If the guy who did this to you has no money, then suing him is worthless. If you can't get the title, maybe you should just get a new car and chalk this up as a lesson learned. IF someone "lost" their title, before you buy their car (or boat or trailer or anything with a title), have them get a new one from the title bureau. It isn't that expensive and then you know what you bought.

    IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER HELPFUL PLEASE MARK IT SO. The answers provided by R. Russell O’Rourke, Attorney-at-Law... more

Related Topics


A lien gives a creditor certain rights to a debtor's property in order to ensure payment of a debt. Liens can be either voluntary or involuntary.

Howard Robert Roitman

Medicare Liens

Federal law generally prohibits Medicare from paying for any item or service where payment can reasonably be expected from another "primary" source within 120 days.

Real property ownership

Several different kinds of property ownership exist, including joint tenancy, tenancy in common and more. The right one for you depends on your circumstances.

Andrew Ben Boyer


On behalf of Andrew Boyer PC posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 Any divorce has the potential to be a massively complicated affair. Many Illinois couples spend months in court arguing... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,903 answers this week

2,306 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,903 answers this week

2,306 attorneys answering