Skip to main content

Me and my Husband are preparing the paperwork for Immigration. How I should sign the forms?

Montague, MI |

Me and my Husband are preparing the paperwork for Immigration.
We filled the forms with my married last name but we are not sure about how I should sign the forms..... on my married certificate the court said that I should write my new name as married where I supposed to put my signature (we did it).

a. Do I should sign like in my passport as single ?, or
b. Do I should sign with my married name? (new signature), or
c. Do I should write my name with my married last name like in my marriage certificated?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. With whatever is your current signature.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  2. Sign it using your current married signature.

    This is general information and not legal advise. This communication does not create a lawyer-client relationship.

  3. Current married name .... for everything.

    Get your passport amended.

    Franco Capriotti - Senior Immigration Counsel
    CAPRIOTTI INTERNATIONAL LAW -- 1-503-803-0055 --

    IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR for 10 years -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

  4. There are some facts missing, such as which forms you are trying to complete. It is also unclear whether you are the petitioner (sponsor) or beneficiary. With that being said, whatever name and signature that you will be using, feel free to use that. The immigration officer is well aware that people's names and signatures may change after marriage so you "should" not have a problem. I say "should", because there may be other issues in your file which I am not aware of. So if there is any uncertainty, it is best to contact an attorney to assist you.

    This information is for general purposes only based on very limited information. It cannot be relied upon without consulting an attorney who can properly assess your case.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics