Me and and another student were kicked out of the radiology program of AWC for allegedly cheating. What can we do?

Asked over 1 year ago - Yuma, AZ

It was on an online exam we did from home. We did talk about the exam but never did we give each other answers. What does not sit well with me is that an incident like this happened when we first started the program yet those students where not kicked out. It is not fair, and the director of the program was taunting us she met with the dean on April 10th 2013; yet we did not find out how the situation was going to be handled until April 17 2013, she even gave us the invitations to our pinning ceremony after she had met with the dean. Meaning she already knew our fate but still gave us the invitations. We are 5 weeks away from graduation i don't like how the situation was handled and need advice as to what to do next.

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

Answered . Your school has an existing process for appealing the school's determination of the violation of academic integrity. Get a copy; study it well; and act quickly to protect your rights to appeal. Deadlines are critical as your rights are e waived if you do not meet the time lines.

Very likely you will need legal counsel for any hope of success. These are difficult cases and the process is not a level playing field.

Your rights and probable outcome are not enhanced or affected by what happened to other students earlier in the program, and none of the timing allegations you raise in your post will matter in the end. What will matter is whether the school has evidence on which to base a finding of breach of academic integrity. This is ordinarily a highly technical issue of legal process and sufficiency of evidence.

The consequences of expulsion are far-ranging and long-term. It will be a sound investment for you to marshall your resources, hire experienced and skilled counsel, and make the best appeal possible under your factual circumstances.

Good luck to you.