Me an two of my friends got caught stealing from walmart, we were not arrested that day. i dont know the exact amount that was

Asked about 1 year ago - New Albany, IN

taken but we recieved papers in the mail saying that we each had to pay $100 to walmart. two of them have court tomorrow an the other next week, we are facing a class d felony for theft, but this is the FIRST offense EVER for any of us. what should be expect at court?

1. Michael Jeffrey Trescone

4

Answered . Generally the state may be more lenient with first-time offenders. However, you need to hire a defense attorney as soon as possible so that he or she can discuss the situation with you and present your situation to the prosecution in a bid to have the charges reduced.

2. Paul Stanko

Pro

4

Answered . DO NOT pay Walmart unless and until you have consulted with a criminal defense attorney first. Many people fail to understand that paying a civil penalty does not satisfy criminal liability. Contact a lawyer immediately.

3. Frank Mascagni III

5

Answered . All 3 of you need to hire a criminal defense attorney ASAP to advise and represent you. The CIVIL DEMAND letter may be from Walmart seeking money damages. The summons/subpoena to appear in court is a CRIMINAL matter that carries a criminal penalty of loss of freedom, a fine, courts costs and restitution. Get legal counsel NOW!