Me& my best friend both unfortunately have each an open case w/ dcf but I'm homeless too, can I live with her & her family?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicopee, MA

my ex mother in law has 3rd party custody and I see my daughter all the time with her supervising the visit (mom-in-law) but my 2 sons are not involved with dcf only my daughter due to me being on methadone while pregnant but I have been clean for over 1 &half year and provided proof to my worker. my best friends worker told her that i can't live there, but his supervisor hinted around about me being able to reside there to help out with rent, and then my worker said he was unaware of there being any rule about. why doesn't dcf have set rules and policies that the whole state has to abide by????

1. Thomas J Callahan

6

Answered . I agree with Atty. Carpenter. Each case is different and so must be handled differently. Not only does your friend possibly jeopardize her case by allowing another DCF "client" live with her, it could also jeopardize your case. You are in your situation due to substance abuse; i.e. about choices you have made. Choosing to live with other people with DCF issues, especially if DCF has a sunstantiated case against them, will might reflect poorly on your choices and whether you can choose a safe environment for your daughter. If you have any other options besides this friend's house or homelessness, such as any other friend or relative, take that choice instead so there is no potential grounds for your case worker to find a problem.

2. Robert Winford Carpenter

5

Answered . There are no standard rules about living arrangements as each family is different. As an attorney I would not recommend that a client under DCF scrutiny live in a home where the residents are also under DCF scrutiny. It does not make sense to jeopardize your children.

This is not legal advice until I am retained and have reviewed all facts about your situation.
  3. Catherine Taylor

Answered . I'm sorry you are dealing with this difficult situation. DCF has to look at each case individually and determine what is going to be best for that family. As such, it is extremely difficult to apply a standard set of rules, because they may not be applicable. I would strongly suggest that you NOT live with another family with an open DCF case as it may jeopardize both families. DCF looks at your lifestyle and the decisions you make, and deciding to live with another family involved with DCF may reflect poorly on your judgment and keep DCF involved in your family longer than you want. Good luck.