Skip to main content

Me & my grandmother was in a car accident two years ago how much longer will it take to recieve the settlement

Atlanta, GA |

he informed us that he has filed a claim & that the 2 year deadline is up, he also said that the insurance company we are dealing with are very hard to deal with,

to give better information he also said in qoute "they will not take it into court and thats a promise" so im guessing that we are close to taking it to court but he doesnt think it will go that far,& i was informed that on august 25,2012 we should have an answer because of a thing they call a 2 year deadline,& if it helps he is auto accident lawyer and he keeps in touch with me & he has good ratings

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    Your post is unclear. is "He" a lawyer? By "filed a claim" do you mean there is a lawsuit?

    If your accident was over 2 years ago and a lawsuit has been filed, the answer as to how long is something only your lawyer will know.

    If you accident was over 2 years and no suit was filed, you get zero and the insurer stops negotiating. If that is the case you need to see a lawyer about suing your lawyer.

    Folks like Allstate, State Farm and Safeway (to name three of the stingiest and most difficult insurers) are often very litigious and difficult to deal with. Even the better insurers tend to resist paying when they can. So some suits drag on a long time. If your lawyer has filed suit and has been responsive to you, that's good news.

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you. Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

  2. If a lawsuit was filed and is still proceeding, it may be more time before you receive money. You need to sit down with your attorney to get a full explanation of where the case stands at this time.

    This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Unless you are already a client of the Law Office of Sidney Weinstein, pursuant to an executed fee agreement, you should not use, interpret, or rely on this response as legal advice or opinion. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice. Sidney Weinstein,, (404) 522-3108.

  3. Talk to your attorneya bout this issue. If a lawsuit has been filed, a resolution should be reached in the next 12 months -- either through trial or simply a negotiated settlement.

    Good luck!

    In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

  4. The answers that the other lawyers provided to your question are very good. I do not have much to add other than you need to try to get an appointment scheduled to meet with your lawyer right away so as to avoid a statute of limitations issue, which in Georgia, is two (2) years from the date of the accident. However, there may be other circumstances which I am/we are not aware of which may extend the statute. Either way, you need to act quickly.

  5. I think only your attorney can answer your question. Call him.
    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics