MD DWI Hearing

Rockville, MD |

I received a DWI/DUI yesterday in Maryland yesterday. I moved to Maryland a few months ago. I had only a North Carolina ID card on me when I was pulled over. I have an old Maryland license that is expired/eligible from when I lived in Maryland prior to moving to NC. I read online that you have 45 days to request a hearing to keep your MD license. Do I need to do this if the DWI/DUI wasn't applied against my expired MD license. All the paperwork shows my NC ID information. I would like to go renew my MD license and don't know if that will affect anything.

Most states are part of the interstate Driver License Agreement which is a compact between the driver licensing agencies of various states. This means that the DWI/DUI will be reported to North Carolina and will still show up against you here in Maryland...and you could face penalties imposed by both states if you are still driving under a NC drivers' license. Your best bet would be to consult a DWI/DUI attorney.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

I understand this but what I am reading states that the Interstate Driver's License Agreement requires each state to report "convictions". I have yet to be convicted.

Brandy Ann Peeples

Brandy Ann Peeples

Which is all the more reason as to why you should get a lawyer, especially if you want a drivers' license here in Maryland.

Thanks - I have every intention of getting a lawyer.

I think you need to hire an attorney asap. I believe this will impact your ability to get a license to drive in Maryland. The MVA statute is quite complicated and convaluted. Of course, you can just walk into the MVA and see what happens.

This is not to be considered legal advise and no attorney client has been established.

You need to consult with a Maryland attorney immediately. You have a very short timeframe to request a hearing or your license will be suspended for at least 45 days in Maryland, maybe more depending on the facts. The time lime is not 45 days, but is shorter.

Consult with an attorney to handle the MVA matter and to defend the DUI charge which carries a year in jail, $1,000 fine, and 12 points as maximum penalties. The courts take these charges very seriously.

Yes, a suspension of your Maryland license will prevent you from renewing your license.

This answer is being given for general informational purposes only and is not protected by the attorney-client privilege since this is a public forum. The information provided does not create an attorney-client relationship. No communications with me on this forum shall be construed as arising out of an attorney-client relationship. If a client needs specific legal advice or opinions, he or she should retain counsel for advice or to undertake representation.

Scott R. Scherr

Scott R. Scherr

Just to clarify that you have only 10 days to file for a hearing. You can file for a hearing within 30 days, but the suspension of your license will still take place on day 46 if you do not get a hearing date before that time. If you file within 10 days, the suspension is stayed.

First, you need to address the MVA issues re your temporary license within 10 days, depending on your options. You should consider meeting with an attorney right away to discuss the entire matter. Time is of the essence. I, like many of us, offer a free consultation. Call anytime. Thanks

This response is based on information provided. Many variables may exist that can only be addressed in an interview. This answer in no way creates an attorney-client relationship.

You have several issues regarding your driver's license. There is not enough information provided to give an answer, and frankly, you do not want to provide detailed information on a public forum. You need to consult with an experienced DUI attorney. One answer is that you have 30 days to request a hearing, not 45. In addition, you should request the hearing within 10 days. Once again, speak with an attorney ASAP

I am pleased to communicate with you concerning legal matters. However, if you communicate with me through this website regarding a matter for which my firm DOES NOT ALREADY REPRESENT YOU, your communication may NOT be treated as privileged or confidential, and shall NOT be deemed to create an attorney/client relationship. Furthermore, you should NOT provide confidential information to my law firm in an e-mail inquiry or otherwise unless we have FIRST entered into a representation agreement.

YES! If you don't, your privilege to drive in Maryland will be suspended.

Nothing posted by Mr. Cleckner on Avvo or in response to an Avvo question or request is intended to be considered legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. For actual legal advice, please contact an attorney for a (usually free) in-depth consultation where your entire situation can be evaluated.

An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you evaluate the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial. Consider seeking a confidential consultation.

Information in the reply is provided as a public service. It is neither a comprehensive statement of the law nor legal advice, and no one should rely on it as such. If you have a legal problem or question, you should consult with an attorney, who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. Responding to a post does not constitute legal representation. I am not your lawyer, until we make an agreement and I receive my fee. Beware that posts and replies are not confidential. Anyone can read them.

DUI court topics