May I request a copy of my non disclosure, confidential agreement from my former employer and any other agreements I signed?

Asked 2 months ago - Salt Lake City, UT

I was the office manager and payroll manager at my previous company. I handled all these documents but I left so abruptly that I never thought to get a copy of until 1 week later.

I have been offered another position and I want to make sure I don't breach the contract.

1. Brian D. Swan

4

1

Answered . As a general rule, both parties to a contract are entitled to copies of that agreement. Go ahead and call your former employer and ask for copies of the agreement(s) you signed.

2. Joshua C Horrocks

4

1

Answered . I agree with both posts. You are absolutely entitled to a copy of any agreement you signed, and after reviewing it yourself, if you have any doubts as to whether the agreements can be enforced or whether you might breach them, call an attorney.

Best of luck!

3. Meghan Hayes Slack

3

Best Answer

Answered . Absolutely. In the future, you should get a copy of any contract you sign at the time you sign it.

You may want an attorney to review the agreement to determine whether or not it is enforceable. Sometimes, agreements like these are not enforceable as they are written. An experienced employment attorney would be able to help you determine how the agreement applies to you.

You can search for an attorney on Avvo.