May I continue to probate my mother's estate?

2013 March 14 Thursday 12:30 Probate Question #2 I live in Colorado. I have one sibling who lives in Michigan. In 2011 December, the Probate Court in Michigan appointed me to be the Personal Representative of my mother's estate in Michigan. However, in February my younger brother challenged my appointment, and another Probate Court Hearing has been scheduled for April. May I continue to probate my mother's estate (including such things as filing the inventory I have prepared before its due date this month, and continuing to pay the estate's bills, et cetera), or must I cease all activity until after the April hearing?

Denver, CO -

David M. Rich

David M. Rich

Probate Attorney - Boulder, CO

You should post this question in the Michigan section, since Michigan law applies. In Colorado, the PR may continue to act as such until the appointment is suspended, terminated, etc. by the court. I hope this helps.

Donald Joseph Quinn II

Donald Joseph Quinn II

Probate Attorney - Kansas City, MO

You really need to direct this question to your own attorney.

Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Estate Planning Attorney - Largo, FL

Your probate attorney should answer this and if you don't have one-you need to have one.
I would assume your brother hired an attorney to contest your appointment.

James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick

Probate Attorney - Livonia, MI

Unless as part of these proceedings, your Letters of Authority were suspended, then you are still the Personal Representative until a judge says otherwise. You need to be very careful to document *everything* that you are doing and you really should have a probate attorney to advise you.

James Frederick