May I change Title on a Deed from "single man" to "community property/with right of survivorship", after marriage?

Glendale, CA |
Filed under: Deed to property

Bought real estate in 1980. Married in 1994.

I agree with counsel. Make sure to file a Preliminary Change of Ownership Report with the Deed indicating that the transfer is between spouses so your property taxes do not get re-assessed.

This answer does not constitue legal advice, nor does it creat an attorney/client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice upon which you intend to rely, you should hire competent cousel familiar with this area of the law in your locale.

Yes. You quitclaim the property to you and your wife as community property.

Yes, you may file a new deed to give your spouse rights to the property.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

You should have your situation reviewed by a real estate attorney who can advise you the best way to achieve your goal, while minimizing any potential tax increases. If there are tax or other issues, you may want to transfer title to a trust which can also give your spouse rights in the property.

I am not your attorney and this response is for educational purposes only. Consult your attorney to review the facts and advise you.

I am not your lawyer, and I am giving you this information to help you find a lawyer. Do not rely on this information. Consult a lawyer.

Recommended articles about Real estate