May I change Title on a Deed from "single man" to "community property/with right of survivorship", after marriage?

Asked over 1 year ago - Glendale, CA

Bought real estate in 1980. Married in 1994.

1. Shaun K. Boss

3

Best Answer

Answered . I agree with counsel. Make sure to file a Preliminary Change of Ownership Report with the Deed indicating that the transfer is between spouses so your property taxes do not get re-assessed.

2. James Carl Eschen III

2

1

Answered . Yes. You quitclaim the property to you and your wife as community property.

3. Thomas Logan Watters

Answered . You should have your situation reviewed by a real estate attorney who can advise you the best way to achieve your goal, while minimizing any potential tax increases. If there are tax or other issues, you may want to transfer title to a trust which can also give your spouse rights in the property.

I am not your attorney and this response is for educational purposes only. Consult your attorney to review the facts and advise you.

4. Michael T Millar

Pro

1

Answered . Yes, you may file a new deed to give your spouse rights to the property.