May I change Title on a Deed from "single man" to "community property/with right of survivorship", after marriage?

Asked over 1 year ago - Glendale, CA

Bought real estate in 1980. Married in 1994.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Shaun K. Boss

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I agree with counsel. Make sure to file a Preliminary Change of Ownership Report with the Deed indicating that the transfer is between spouses so your property taxes do not get re-assessed.

    This answer does not constitue legal advice, nor does it creat an attorney/client relationship. If you are... more
  2. James Carl Eschen III

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Yes. You quitclaim the property to you and your wife as community property.

  3. Thomas Logan Watters

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . You should have your situation reviewed by a real estate attorney who can advise you the best way to achieve your goal, while minimizing any potential tax increases. If there are tax or other issues, you may want to transfer title to a trust which can also give your spouse rights in the property.

    I am not your attorney and this response is for educational purposes only. Consult your attorney to review the facts and advise you.

    I am not your lawyer, and I am giving you this information to help you find a lawyer. Do not rely on this... more
  4. Michael T Millar


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes, you may file a new deed to give your spouse rights to the property.

    If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,240 answers this week

2,877 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,240 answers this week

2,877 attorneys answering