May I ask a question regarding changing lawyers and how an adjuster may see that as weakness or does it matter?

Asked over 1 year ago - West Palm Beach, FL

I have not formally retained a lawyer for a personal injury case (I have the papers but have not signed them). I have had representation however in that the lawyer has been in communication with the adjuster and has sent out general letters requesting insurance information. I have been working with lawyer for some time now as well addressing all my concerns and going into details regarding the event.

My issue is that if I decide to seek out another lawyer, I just want to reiterate I have not signed papers, will this negatively affect the negotiations? I feel like I could find a lawyer that could possibly better fit what I want, but at the same time I do not want to jeopardize any negotiations, adjuster thinking possibly that the lawyer dropped me for some reason or that I am a problem

1. Jeffrey Mark Adams

9

Answered . Am I correct that you have an attorney, but are considering a change? This alone will not adversely affect your case. Bottom line; qualified counsel, a compliant client and the facts all significantly affect value.

2. Larry Van Roberts

Pro

9

Answered . If you choose an experienced personal injury attorney with a reputation of taking cases to trial if the settlement offered is not acceptable, changing attorneys will help your case. Adjusters know the attorneys who simply settle cases and the attorneys who will take a case to trial, if necessary. If you change attorneys, look closely and make the right choice. Good luck!

3. Jeffrey Robert Davis

7

Answered . Don't care what the adjuster thinks, care only about getting the full value of your case. Choose the lawyer that you think will get you the best result.

4. Sagi Shaked

Pro

6

Answered . It depends and is a case by case basis. If you have had many lawyers it looks bad but switching once is no big deal.

5. Rachelle Renee Bocksch

5

1

Answered . It is important that you have confidence in your lawyer. If you believe another lawyer would be better for you, than don't worry about the adjuster. Changing lawyers, especially before the case has been put into litigation, should not have a negative affect on the value of your case. What is important is that you have a lawyer who will get you the best result and with whom you feel most comfortable. Your prior attorney (should you wish to discharge him/her) will be entitled to recover their costs on the file and may even file a charging lien for the time they put in. You should discuss this with the potential "new" lawyer. I wish you the best of luck!

6. Robert Bruce Kopelson

6

Answered . In some situations changing attys can give a bad impression. It really depends upon the facts of the case. However, if you go to a reputable atty who agrees to represent you, I wouldnt worry about it. If you are going to change, you should do it asap. The longer you wait the greater the chance the new atty will want to have done something differently. Also, the first atty should know asap so he/she doesnt spend more time on a case where he /she isnt going to get paid.

Pro

6

Answered . Get the lawyer you think is best. You can find plenty of top-rated attorneys on Avvo who have low contingency fees. Good luck.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  8. William Randolph Foman

2

1

Answered . Switching one or twice will not make a big deal in your case. The key is to select an attorney who has a good reputation for litigating agressively, and/or taking cases to trial if the insurance company fails to make reasonable settlement offers.The insurance adjusters know which attorneys are known to settle easily, and they take advantage of those clients who select those attorneys. In any event, if you feel that any attorney is not properly protecting your interests, I woudldhighly recommend that you at teh very least consult with anotehr attorny within that specialty to get advice.