May a conditional U.S. permanent resident study abroad.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Houston, TX

I have recently received my CONDITIONAL (2 year) U.S. permanent residency. I have been given the opportunity to study abroad through my university. I am aware that a US PERMANENT resident may study abroad but I needed to know if a US CONDITIONAL PERMANENT resident is allowed to also. And if so, what would be the maximum time permitted to studying abroad. Thank you!

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Answered . Yes, but:
    1) that will make it more difficult to remove the conditions on the card,
    2) that will delay naturalization
    3) that could potentially result in the loss of permanent residence.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  2. Answered . Seek a re-entry permit before you depart if the stay is likely to be over a year.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more

Related Topics

Green card holders and travel

Leaving the United States without filing a reentry form may cause the authorities to believe you have abandoned your permanent residency.


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,181 answers this week

3,678 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,181 answers this week

3,678 attorneys answering