May a conditional U.S. permanent resident study abroad.

Houston, TX |

I have recently received my CONDITIONAL (2 year) U.S. permanent residency. I have been given the opportunity to study abroad through my university. I am aware that a US PERMANENT resident may study abroad but I needed to know if a US CONDITIONAL PERMANENT resident is allowed to also. And if so, what would be the maximum time permitted to studying abroad. Thank you!

Yes, but:
1) that will make it more difficult to remove the conditions on the card,
2) that will delay naturalization
3) that could potentially result in the loss of permanent residence.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Seek a re-entry permit before you depart if the stay is likely to be over a year.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law