Maternal Grandparents with custody and paternal grandparent trying to get visitation.

Asked about 3 years ago - Defiance, OH

I have custody of my grandson with only supervised visitation for the parents. My daughter visits every day but the father has not set up a visitation in several months. We have been letting the fathers mother pick the baby up twice a week from 12-7 to visit with the baby. We have heard that the paternal grandmother is looking to take us to court for additional visitation, does she have any legal standing to do so? We have always been flexible with the paternal grandmother regarding the visits she gets, so I am not sure what her reasoning could be.

1. Jeffrey Glenn Simpson Jr.

Answered . She may have legal standing to do so. In this matter, with unmarried parents, and custody vested in a non-parental family member, other interested family members may file for visitation, and even custody. Whether she is awarded any visitation time is another matter, specific to the issues and facts of your case. She may just want to solidify the agreement that you both are operating under currently.

To be safe, you may need to retain an attorney.