Master Elite IRA Adviser transferred a simple IRA into a non-qualified individual account.What recourse do I have?

Asked about 2 years ago - Round Rock, TX

My Master Elite IRA Adviser transferred the contents of a simple IRA by mistake into a non-qualified individual account. I have a large tax bill ($16K including penalties and lost deductions because of increased income). The paperwork clearly directs deposit in a new IRA account.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Peter Walter Weston


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The entity that has handled your financial affairs appears to have failed to follow your written instructions.

    You should make written demand on this entity, to correct the problem, and to return your funds to a proper tax qualified IRA, as you requested, and to restore any financial loss to you.

    It is likely there is errors and omissions insurance, or similar insurance coverage for you, if there is a mistake such as this by a registered dealer.
    It is important to place this firm on notice of the problem.

    You should confer with an experienced financial transaction attorney, or litigation attorney to further review the facts.

    When I have had clients in this situation, it has been resolved without litigation, provided the problem is promptly brought before a decision maker in their firm.

    General legal advice is offered for educational purposes only. A consultation with a qualified attorney is... more
  2. Michael J Corbin

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Obviously, for you to already have a tax bill, this occurred some time ago. When did this occur? Basically, if the bank failed to properly perform its duties, they are 100% liable for the mistake, including any losses you've incurred as a result. Contact the bank immediately and get them on this. Also, FYI, I have no idea what a "master elite IRA advisor" is - that's a made-up title from some people selling training courses as near as I can tell.

    We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. more

Related Topics


There are different types of debt, but all involve one person (the debtor) owing money to another (the creditor). Terms of repayment are governed by a contract.

Employee retirement benefits

Your employer may offer retirement benefits, like 401k plans, which you must help fund and manage, or company-provided pensions, which the employer manages.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

18,146 answers this week

2,377 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

18,146 answers this week

2,377 attorneys answering