Maryland Workers' Compensation: When No "Light-Duty" Work Is Available From Employer?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Baltimore, MD

After defense IME releases employee to light-duty/20-pound lift restriction, but treating chiropractor hasn't released employee to return to work (and WCC finds injury compensable, denies TTD beyond IME, finds claimant at MMI, denies ongoing/future medical), and employee inquires of employer about light-duty/modified work (letter by certified-mail) and no work is offered (no response from employer either by mail or phone), what is the employee's/claimant's options (aside from judicial review/appeal in circuit court)?

WC hearing was held. Commissioner allowed TTD through IME date (19.43 weeks; specifically denied TTD beyond IME), found claimant at MMI (but made no explicit mention of work restrictions, though IME report said light-duty and treating Chiro said still TTD) and specifically denied ongoing/future medical treatment.

Body parts have been listed for PPD benefits.

Filed motion for rehearing/reconsideration because Chiro referred to Ortho who at initial visit ordered an EMG (denied by insurer during contested pre-hearing period, no seconday insurance, so EMG not obtained) and 3 months later IME also recommended EMG in report as a prelude to determining MMI and releasing to "regular duty". Motion denied. 30 days to file for judicial review./appeal in MD State Circuit Court.

Claimant still not able to work due to neurological issues related to fall (numbness/tingling, pain, loss of strength in right arm/hand/fingers and leg/foot/toes).

1. Bret A. Schnitzer

2

Answered . It sounds like you had a trial and your benefits were terminated from the IME forward. Your attorney can explain what this means to you. If you are no longer disabled per the ruling of the Magistrate your benefits cease in MIchigan. Are you currently on appeal or is the case over? Talk to your lawyer, since he tried the case, certainly he can advise you on this issue.

2. David J. McCormick

2

Answered . You need to talk this over with your attorney because it appears that the judge agreed with the IME and not your doctors. Thus, you are not getting any more benefits. If you do not have an attorney I strongly suggest you get one ASAP.

Good luck

3. Marilynn Mika Spencer

1

1

Answered . I am a California attorney and cannot give legal advice in your state. My comments are information only, based on federal law and general legal principles. YOUR STATE MAY HAVE ITS OWN LAWS THAT OFFER SIMILAR OR GREATER PROTECTION. If I mention your state’s laws, it only means I did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant. You MUST check with an attorney licensed in your state to learn your rights.

I am not commenting on any workers' compensation aspect of your case. I write to make sure you are aware you may have rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, 42 U.S.C. sections 12101 et seq. (ADA). Many on-the-job injuries meet the definition of "disability" under the ADA. If they do, you may be entitled to reasonable accommodation for your disability. This would require the employer to alter the way work is done so that you are able to perform the main parts of your job. Your rights under the ADA are separate from any rights you may have under workers' compensation.

Please look at my Avvo guide on the ADA: http://www.avvo.com/pages/show?category_id=6&pe....

You may also have rights under the Family and Medical Leave Act, 29 U.S.C. section 2101 et seq. (FMLA). To be eligible under the FMLA, all of the following must be true: (1) your employer has at least 50 employees who work within 75 miles of one another; (2) you have worked for this same employer for a total of one year, even if not consecutively; (3) you have worked for this employer for at least 1,250 hours in the immediately preceding year; and (4) your medical condition meets the definition of “serious medical condition” under the family leave laws. Your rights under the FMLA are separate from any rights you may have under workers' compensation.

Please look at my Avvo guide on the Family and Medical Leave Act, 29 U.S.C. section 2101 et seq. (FMLA): http://www.avvo.com/pages/show?category_id=6&pe....