Skip to main content

Maryland MVA Insurance debt lapse collection

Ellicott City, MD |
Filed under: Credit Debt

I got a "Notice of Intent to Offset" letter dated 12/21/2013 from Department of Budget and Management - Maryland (Central Collection Unit (CCU)) saying I owe a debt of three thousand odd dollars. I got to know the debt is related to Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) Insurance lapse default.

I bought a vehicle in Maryland (MD) in 2004 and moved out of MD in 2006 to Washington (WA) state. I have registered my vehicle in WA in 2006 and got new license plates. However I did not know that I had to return the old MD license plates to MD MVA. I have destroyed the license plates after I received my new WA license plates.

I had valid motor vehicle insurance in WA until August 2011. I have moved back to India in August 2011 and I am still in India.

If I don't pay the debt/fine, will this affect my credit report (there is a chance I might travel to US in the future)? Should I negotiate a good faith payment with MVA or the collection agency?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


In Maryland, you can establish that the vehicle was registered in another state and insured during the period in question and you can present proof to the MVA and ask that the fees be waived. Maryland has specific regulations governing this issue.

This answer is being given for general informational purposes only and is not protected by the attorney-client privilege since this is a public forum. The information provided does not create an attorney-client relationship. No communications with me on this forum shall be construed as arising out of an attorney-client relationship. If a client needs specific legal advice or opinions, he or she should retain counsel for advice or to undertake representation.


It's going to be hard for them to collect from you in India.



I may visit US in the future. Will this affect my credit score?


I agree with Mr. Sherr


Mr. Sherr is correct.

If you don't take care of this, it could affect your credit record in the US.

The legal analysis of any situation depends on a variety of factors which cannot be properly represented or accounted for in a response to an on-line question. Any answer, discussion or information is intended as general information only, is not intended to serve as legal advice or as a substitute for legal counsel, and should not be relied upon in making any decision. If you have a question about a specific factual situation, you should contact an attorney directly.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer