Maryland MVA Insurance debt lapse collection

Asked 7 months ago - Ellicott City, MD

I got a "Notice of Intent to Offset" letter dated 12/21/2013 from Department of Budget and Management - Maryland (Central Collection Unit (CCU)) saying I owe a debt of three thousand odd dollars. I got to know the debt is related to Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) Insurance lapse default.

I bought a vehicle in Maryland (MD) in 2004 and moved out of MD in 2006 to Washington (WA) state. I have registered my vehicle in WA in 2006 and got new license plates. However I did not know that I had to return the old MD license plates to MD MVA. I have destroyed the license plates after I received my new WA license plates.

I had valid motor vehicle insurance in WA until August 2011. I have moved back to India in August 2011 and I am still in India.

If I don't pay the debt/fine, will this affect my credit report (there is a chance I might travel to US in the future)? Should I negotiate a good faith payment with MVA or the collection agency?

1. Scott R. Scherr

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . In Maryland, you can establish that the vehicle was registered in another state and insured during the period in question and you can present proof to the MVA and ask that the fees be waived. Maryland has specific regulations governing this issue.

Pro

7

Answered . It's going to be hard for them to collect from you in India.

3. Brett D Weiss

Pro

4

1

Answered . Mr. Sherr is correct.

If you don't take care of this, it could affect your credit record in the US.

4. Robert J Adams Jr.

Pro

4

Answered . I agree with Mr. Sherr