Marrying disabled USC

Asked over 1 year ago - Madison, WI

I am writing this question for my friend she doesn't speak English well, she just got married to a USC, he is deaf, she is not, and she barely knows the sign language , she is illegal now but came here on visa , she wants to hire an immigration lawyer to adjust her status , she is a little worried that they might give them a hard time because he is deaf , is this going to be a long process for her ?they love each other so much and willing to do anything for each other. and do they provide an interpreter at the interview ?

1. Jamahl Calvin Kersey

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . USCIS should not give your friend's husband a hard time. The officers are prohibited from discrimination on the basis of one's disability. I agree with my colleague's time estimate, and yes, he would need to provide his own interpreter.

2. Stephen D. Berman

1

Answered . They should meet with an immigration lawyer. They can get their questions answered when the meet with the attorney.

3. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

1

Answered . The process takes about five to six months. The couple will have to take their own interpreter.

4. Nicklaus James Misiti

Answered . They would not give them a hard time because he was deaf. Make sure she works with an attorney. My firm handles immigration matters and has successfully represented many disabled clients.
    Regards,
    Nicklaus Misiti
    Law Offices of Nicklaus Misiti
    212 537 4407