Married to an american and living in america already but do not have visa

Asked about 4 years ago - Fulton, IL

Hi, I'm canadian and ended up getting pregnant by my american bf, we got married, i moved to america without the gov't knowing and I am now very scared and worried about what may happen if we go ahead and start the visa application. We have a house, cars and a very happy life together. What can I do, and is there any easy way for me to be able to stay in america while the visa is going through? My daughter is now two years old and I definately don't want my husband missing any time with her. Please advise.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Kevin Lawrence Dixler


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . I agree that if you are a Canadian Citizen, 'you can file' for adjustment of status in the U.S. Yet, there are many forms, documentary requirements, and ways in which you may be disqualified, even if you have never been convicted of a crime. You will want the filing to be processed in the right locations without be delayed or rejected for additional documentation.

    The filing fees are about $1465 plus the cost of the medical examination. If you retain an experienced immigration attorney, you may not necessarily pay that much more depending upon the situation.

    I recommend an appointment or teleconference with an experienced immigration attorney who practices in Chicago, Illinois, where the adjustment interview will likely take place. A candid attorney can discuss delays and documentary needs. The attorney can also recommend whether it is best to delay the filing or seek additional co-sponsors, among other issues that can delay your employment authorization card and adjustment interview.

    The above is general information and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. Norma Lorenzo

    Contributor Level 15


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . HI! As long as you entered the country legally then you will be able to apply for your GC based on your marriage and stay here in the US without need of having to leave the country. You should defi. adjust your status if you have made a life for yourself in the US and wish to continue to live here. Good Luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,938 answers this week

2,788 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary