Married to a U.S. citizen, filing I-130, I-485 concurrently. Can I have my grandmother-in-law as a joint sponsor?

Asked 10 months ago - San Jose, CA

My husband barely meets the 125% of Poverty Guideline, so I'm having a joint sponsor. Can my grandmother-in-law(my husband's grandmother) be my joint sponsor? She gets paid around 2k a month from social security and other stuff. She also has lots cash in bank and has several houses under her name. OR should joint sponsor be currently 'working'? Then I thought we would do my mother-in-law who makes around 42k a year BEFORE tax.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can have your friend from the remote childhood be your sponsor as well, if he or she qualifies.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more
  2. David Alexander Concha


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If your husband meets the 125% poverty guideline, but does in fact meet the required amount you wouldn't need a co-sponsor. If you were required to use a co-sponsor any U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident can sponsor you so long as they meet the guidelines. You will need proof of their status, 3 recent pay stub or letter of employment. Last taxes 1040's and W-2's or schedule C if self employed. Most people include last 3 years taxes although technically it is optional. I recommend 3.

  3. Theodore S. Huang

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . All sponsors must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents, be at least 18 years old, and be living in the United States when they file the affidavit of support.

    Los Angeles Attorney Theodore Huang, Esq. This is not legal advice. No attorney/client relationship is... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,267 answers this week

2,833 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,267 answers this week

2,833 attorneys answering