Married to a U.S. citizen, filing I-130, I-485 concurrently. Can I have my grandmother-in-law as a joint sponsor?

San Jose, CA |

My husband barely meets the 125% of Poverty Guideline, so I'm having a joint sponsor. Can my grandmother-in-law(my husband's grandmother) be my joint sponsor? She gets paid around 2k a month from social security and other stuff. She also has lots cash in bank and has several houses under her name. OR should joint sponsor be currently 'working'? Then I thought we would do my mother-in-law who makes around 42k a year BEFORE tax.
Thanks!

1. If your husband meets the 125% poverty guideline, but does in fact meet the required amount you wouldn't need a co-sponsor. If you were required to use a co-sponsor any U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident can sponsor you so long as they meet the guidelines. You will need proof of their status, 3 recent pay stub or letter of employment. Last taxes 1040's and W-2's or schedule C if self employed. Most people include last 3 years taxes although technically it is optional. I recommend 3.

2. You can have your friend from the remote childhood be your sponsor as well, if he or she qualifies.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

3. All sponsors must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents, be at least 18 years old, and be living in the United States when they file the affidavit of support.

Los Angeles Attorney Theodore Huang, Esq. This is not legal advice. No attorney/client relationship is established. Attorney Huang is licensed in MD; practice limited to federal law.

Tax law topics