Married name or maiden name on USCIS docs.?

Asked almost 2 years ago - West Orange, NJ

We recently got married and I am confused about what name to use on my uscis AOS documents.
All my legal documents say my maiden name..and the marriage certificate doesnt really show a name change.its says my maiden name in the section brides can i use my husbands last name in my docs and attach a marriage certificate as proof of name change or i have to use my maiden name

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Look at the COM. Which name you chose there. This is your legal name. This is the name you HAVE to use.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . YOu can change your name with your marriage certificate. Just be careful that you get everything correct and consistent or you will have trouble in the future with social security, motor vehicles, and travel. The adjustment process is more difficult than most people realize and you'd be doing yourself a favor to consult with a lawyer.

  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you want to start using you husband's last name, go ahead and do it.

  4. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The name you want on the card.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Marriage and prenups

Entering into a prenuptial agreement before marriage can protect certain assets in the event of a divorce, but such agreements must be carefully written.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

36,024 answers this week

3,829 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

36,024 answers this week

3,829 attorneys answering