Married in the US or my country of origin?

Asked about 2 years ago - Clifton, NJ

I recently turned 18, I was brought into the country illegaly at the age of 4. I have been engaged with an american citizen for 2 years, knowing him for nearly 8. I plan on leaving to my country before I turn 18 1/2 because I dont want to make my chances on obtaining a residency any harder. My question is will getting married inside the US have a negative affect on my petition?

1. Eric M. Mark

Pro

3

Answered . It does not matter where you get married. I respectfully disagree with the previous answer. If you leave the U.S. before you turn 18 1/2 you will not accrue the 180 days of unlawful presence that would trigger any bar from returning and you would not need to file any waiver. However, proving the validity of your marriage, given your age and the timing, could be very difficult. Consult with an immigration lawyer soon and before making any decisions.

2. Yolanda Navarrete

1

Answered . I agree that leaving before 18 1/2 would stop you from accruing "unlawful presence.". Once you leave he can petition you for fiancé visa. A hardship waiver is extremely difficult and if it isn't granted you would be facing deportation. The best way for you to make a decision is to meet with an immigration attorney and go over all your facts.

3. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

1

Answered . Best not to leave and apply from within the U.S., You will soon be able to submit your husband's "extreme hardship" waiver to an adjudicatory authority inside the U.S, hopefully get the waiver granted and only then leave for the immigrant visa processing at the U.S. consulate in your country of nationality. If you instead leave before getting married here and do it all from outside the country, you and your husband could be separated for a year or more, while you are waiting or the waiver to be adjudicated abroad.