Married in New York City, uncontested divorce without residency?

Asked 4 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

I was married in 2012 in New York City. At the time, I had residency in Texas though I currently live in Los Angeles(this is true of my ex, as well). Due to our personal and work situations, either of us moving to New York for 6 mos - 1 year is probably out of the question.

Is there any way to proceed with the divorce?

1. Gregory Paul Benton

4

Answered . As long as you have lived here in CA for 6 months prior to filing and in LA county 3 months prior to filing, then you can file here and then move elsewhere. Where you got married and lived previously is not relevant. If you do file and then move, strongly advice hiring an attorney to get this accomplished for you.

2. Wail Sarieh

Pro

4

Answered . You can file for divorce if you have been residents in California for over six months; otherwise I would start by filing legal separation petition and amend it to divorce once the residency requirement of 6 months is met.

3. Marc Elliot Grossman

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with the others and add that you should speak with an attorney to determine your legal rights/options prior to filing the divorce.

4. Gary Lee Stanley Jr

1

Answered . Most states require about a 6 month waiting period. You may also want to contact the court as most usually have an information line or desk where you can call or go into.