Married in March 2012 and need advice on how to file taxes.

New York, NY |

I was married in March 2012 and still haven't changed my name with SS Admin. or my exemption status at work. My husband hasn't updated his info at work either. He owns a co-op that is still considered his home address but we reside together in my apartment. I only changed my name on my license and car insurance so far. How should I file my taxes?

1. If married before December 31, then you can file as married. Likewise if a child is born before December 31 you can clam the child.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

2. Whether your name and/or address changes are determined by your State's laws. For example, in Louisiana, unless a person goes through the process of legally changing their name, marriage does neither requires nor causes a change of name. Rather, either spouse has the legal right to USE the other's surname. Therefore, name changes really should not affect your filing status.

Your filing status, since you were married as of December 31, 2012 will be either Married Filing Jointly (MFJ) or Married Filing Separately (MFS). MFJ has many advantages over MFS, which should only be used in certain situations.

Most likely, you will file MFJ.

Congratulations on your marriage.

This answer does not establish an attorney-client relationship, Moreover, this attorney is Licensed to practiced law ONLY in LOUISIANA and answers to questions from other jurisdictions or states are meant to provide only general information. Users should contact a local attorney in their jurisdiction or state.

3. If you're married before the end of the year you file either Married, filing Jointly or Married, filing separately.

And Congratulations!

Evan A. Nielsen is licensed to practice law in California and handles federal tax matters throughout the U.S. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice for a particular matter. This response does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult an attorney.

Business topics