Married in March 2012 and need advice on how to file taxes.

Asked about 2 years ago - New York, NY

I was married in March 2012 and still haven't changed my name with SS Admin. or my exemption status at work. My husband hasn't updated his info at work either. He owns a co-op that is still considered his home address but we reside together in my apartment. I only changed my name on my license and car insurance so far. How should I file my taxes?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jayson Lutzky


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If married before December 31, then you can file as married. Likewise if a child is born before December 31 you can clam the child.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate... more
  2. Brian Joseph Munson

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Whether your name and/or address changes are determined by your State's laws. For example, in Louisiana, unless a person goes through the process of legally changing their name, marriage does neither requires nor causes a change of name. Rather, either spouse has the legal right to USE the other's surname. Therefore, name changes really should not affect your filing status.

    Your filing status, since you were married as of December 31, 2012 will be either Married Filing Jointly (MFJ) or Married Filing Separately (MFS). MFJ has many advantages over MFS, which should only be used in certain situations.

    Most likely, you will file MFJ.

    Congratulations on your marriage.

    This answer does not establish an attorney-client relationship, Moreover, this attorney is Licensed to practiced... more
  3. Evan A Nielsen

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . If you're married before the end of the year you file either Married, filing Jointly or Married, filing separately.

    And Congratulations!

    Evan A. Nielsen is licensed to practice law in California and handles federal tax matters throughout the U.S. The... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,493 answers this week

3,584 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,493 answers this week

3,584 attorneys answering