Married in hi reside in nv 12 yrs seperated 7 hus back in mexico how can i finally get this divorce dont know where he is ?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

he was in jail last 8 yrs he was supposed to help me get this divorce over and done with however they deported him so now no contact i just want to get this over and done with how can i start this .

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Peter Lunt Ashman

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyer agrees

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . This isn't really an immigration matter. But I am also licensed in Nevada and can give legal advice on family law, too. You can serve him by publication and enter a default judgment against him if he cannot be served. It will take a few months to do and be more expensive than a joint petition or uncontested divorce where he would sign the papers, but it can be done.

  2. Alena Shautsova


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Get a family law attorney, They know that the requirements are for service him with papers.

    This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer... more
  3. Veronica Tunitsky

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Yep, family attorney is necessary. You can file for divorce where you live and have him served where he is. Could be a little tricky because it's international. If he doesn't respond or appear (which he can't do because of physical limitations), you'll probably be able to take a default order against him.

    Again, talk to a family law attorney who has experience with international matters.

    The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,709 answers this week

3,040 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,709 answers this week

3,040 attorneys answering