Married in California, never a resident there nor elsewhere in the US, need help on how to register a foreign divorce

Asked almost 2 years ago - Sonora, CA

My now ex wife and I are from Europe, and a few years ago decided to get married in California, though we were not residents there nor elsewhere in the US.

We have now divorced in our country of residence, and would need to know how to proceed in order to have the foreign divorce recognized in California.

I have verified with the local US consulate, but divorces are dealt with by States and not by Federal government, and browsing the Internet did not help too much.

Thanks for any help you might have.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If you were married in Europe, the State of California would recognize, the same goes for your divorce. You are divorced. You may need an official certified copy from the Court in Europe, but that is only IF the issue arises here in the United States. Best of luck.

  2. 2

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . There is no registry in California for foreign divorces (or marriages). A certified copy of the divorce is all that is required if need be in the future.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may... more
  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I am a former European Attorney that now practices in California as a California Attorney .
    I can help u to resolve that issue immediately.

    Disclaimer: The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not... more
  4. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I am not licensed in California. I defer to what my colleagues told you. Please consult with an attorney in your locality. I would only add that the situation in NY would be treated similarly. Best.

    This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given... more
  5. Answered . This looks the same in most US states: a certified and translated version of the foreign divorce decree should be all that you need.

    Total Mobility Law is an international law firm that lets companies do global business with the knowledge and... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

International law

International law is a set of agreements made between the United States and other countries. It governs everything from business deals to escaped criminals.

Todd Matthew Heine

Basic reasons for FCPA compliance

As an international business, you may operate in countries where bribing government officials seems like the only way to do business. Before giving a bribe—including small gifts—think about... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

38,337 answers this week

3,958 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

38,337 answers this week

3,958 attorneys answering