Married for 4 months, want an annulment.

Virginia Beach, VA |

My husband and I are both military, live on opposite coasts and since day one have been doing nothing but screaming at each other. We have nothing to split, no loans together no children nothing. I live in VA, he lives in CA and we were married in AZ. Trying to do this the least expensive and painless way possible.

1. You have no grounds for an annulment in Virginia. You can get a divorce after a six month separation if you have a written Agreement. You could see what is available under California law since he is a resident there.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship and is intended for general information purposes only. For specific information regarding your case, call my office at 757-533-5400 to schedule a consultation.

2. In Virginia, there are very limited grounds for an annulment and not having lived together is not one of the grounds. From your question, I do not see any valid grounds for an annulment in Virginia. You could file for a no fault divorce after you have been separated for six months if you have a written separation agreement that has been signed by both of you. You will also need to have lived in Virginia for 6 months before filing. I would be happy to help you with the separation agreement and divorce action if you want to give my office a call at 340-3100.

3. Both of you can go the Navy Legal Assistance, have them help you prepare a separation agreement, and then wait the six months so you can file in VA.

mljucmj@gmail.com 703-298-9562, 800-401-1583. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Military law topics