Married a citizen, adjusted status, granted conditional green card. went through divorce, want to remarry, can I sponsor?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Flushing, NY

Hello, I married a citizen and through adjustment of status i485 recieved y green card about a month ago but now I'm going through uncontested divorce. It will be finalized in 90 some days. Rightafter, I would like to marry a friend of mine who is here on a student visa. Can I sponsor her eventhough I just recieved my green card and it's conditional?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Irene Vaisman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Essentially I agree with my colleague. At this point, you need to worry about your green card as it will expire in 2 years and you have to apply for a permanent one.

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  2. Javier G Pineda

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I suggest you take the time to consult with an experienced immigration attorney as soon as possible to understand your case and your future. Many of the issues that need to be discussed are not appropriate for this forum. Good luck.

    714-560-0040. The answer provided is general in nature and because not all facts are known, it should not be... more
  3. Jeffrey Jose Estrella

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . YES but you need to get the conditions removed on yours. You could do a VAWA petition I-360 (works for men too) if show unusual cruel inhumane treatment. Need to talk to a lawyer right away.

    Hire a lawyer to protect your legal rights.


    Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
    Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado
    Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
    The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
    75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170
    Inside The Bulova Corporate Center
    Jackson Heights, NY 11370
    T. (347) 628-2391
    F. (718) 672-4728

    The answers posted herein are not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship exists. Call for a free 20... more
  4. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No you can not sponsor a new spouse ... that is one of your 'conditions'.

    Meet with an immigration lawyer to make sure that you aren't accused of fraud with your first marriage.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,568 answers this week

3,050 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,568 answers this week

3,050 attorneys answering