Married a citizen, adjusted status, granted conditional green card. went through divorce, want to remarry, can I sponsor?

Asked over 1 year ago - Flushing, NY

Hello, I married a citizen and through adjustment of status i485 recieved y green card about a month ago but now I'm going through uncontested divorce. It will be finalized in 90 some days. Rightafter, I would like to marry a friend of mine who is here on a student visa. Can I sponsor her eventhough I just recieved my green card and it's conditional?

1. Irene Vaisman

4

Answered . Essentially I agree with my colleague. At this point, you need to worry about your green card as it will expire in 2 years and you have to apply for a permanent one.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  2. Javier G Pineda

5

Answered . I suggest you take the time to consult with an experienced immigration attorney as soon as possible to understand your case and your future. Many of the issues that need to be discussed are not appropriate for this forum. Good luck.

3. Jeffrey Jose Estrella

2

Answered . YES but you need to get the conditions removed on yours. You could do a VAWA petition I-360 (works for men too) if show unusual cruel inhumane treatment. Need to talk to a lawyer right away.

Hire a lawyer to protect your legal rights.

THE ESTRELLA LAW FIRM, P.C.
    “LEGAL REPRESENTATION AND CONSULTING SERVICES THAT GO THE EXTRA MILE”

Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
    Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado
    Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
    The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
    75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170
    Inside The Bulova Corporate Center
    Jackson Heights, NY 11370
    T. (347) 628-2391
    F. (718) 672-4728
    E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com
    www.EstrellaLawyer.com

4. F. J. Capriotti III

3

Answered . No you can not sponsor a new spouse ... that is one of your 'conditions'.

Meet with an immigration lawyer to make sure that you aren't accused of fraud with your first marriage.