Skip to main content

Married 20 years, age 59, female, kids (17 &19). Unemployed. Husband cheats is bankrupt owes ~ 100k in taxes. I want to divorce.

Oak Park, CA |

Figured out he's cheater since kids were young. He uprooted our family from our house and friends in '06 for a "better life" in Los Angeles. I agreed to go for his career and "a better life". Upon arriving found out about 2 affairs that occurred before the move. And now another that is currently going on. And, he has ruined us financially. He is bankrupt, has a bad professional reputation. He doesn't want to get a job instead, speculates construction projects. He wanted me to stay home with kids. Said he'd handle the finances. I have done a great job. Now he is "firing" me and saying he is not going to support me.
Is there any senario in which he would not have to support me (alimony)? I have no home or savings to help me. If he gets a job, shouldn't he have to help me out?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You are in a long term marriage so, yes, you husband will be ordered to pay spousal support and child support for your child under 18. The amount of that support will depend on your husband's income and assets and your ability to support yourself.

You need to retain a family law attorney in your area to get support and your share of any community property.

If you remarry your husband's support obligation would end. Co-habitation with another person who supports you could also result in reduced or eliminated spousal support as could your ability to entirely support yourself.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis


great counsel

Michael Raymond Daymude

Michael Raymond Daymude


Thank you!


I am sorry that you are going through this. You will recieve support and the only way that would be affected is if you have facts that are not included in your questions or if you remarry- that may terminate spousal support. Please sit down with a local attny and go over the more specific issues with him or her, it will be well worth it and make you feel alot better. Take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


You're entitled to spousal support

The answers on this discussion board are general in nature and NOT intended as legal advice. Responding to questions does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Always see a lawyer about your individual situation.


It sounds like you are understandably very emotional. You should probably see a divorce lawyer right away. But, the fact that your husband is financially ruined means that, as a practical matter, you are unlikely to ever see any money. You could get alimony/child support, but to what avail?

I would suggest that you separate and live in a separate home. This will allow you to file an "Innocent Spouse" claim for any current/future taxes owed and potentially for some of the back taxes owed. Also, you should consult a tax attorney to deal with your liability for the back taxes.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer