Skip to main content

Marriage in Poland to US citizen with dual citizenship (Polish and American)

Seattle, WA |

I am Polish citizen, currently living in Poland. My fiance is American (he was born in America) and Polish, currently living in the USA. We want to get married in Poland. Will our Polish marriage be legal in the US ? Will it let me cross the American border without any complications and let me work and live there legally?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Yes, if the two of you follow the local rules for marriage in Poland, it will be recognized by the US government. No, the marriage license alone will not let you into the US. After marriage, he will have to file an I-130 (with other forms) and you will have to file a DS-230 (with other forms). The process can take from 3-12 months ... before you can legally enter and work in the US.

Franco Capriotti - Senior Legal Counsel - Capriotti International Law - - 1-800-716-0055


We are not geographically limited ==> Our licenses allow us to represent people worldwide.
Do not rely completely on information you get on a website. It is always wise to consult personally with an immigration attorney before taking any action with the US CIS, or US Consulate. Please consider contacting one of the attorneys on Avvo. Or, contact the American Immigration Lawyer's Association for a referral. If you are low income and feel that you can not afford an attorney, try contacting one of the organizations on this list:

Contact the American Immigration Lawyers Association for a referral to an experienced immigration attorney. NOTE: They also have referrals to low/no-cost attorneys. LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.



Thank you so much for your answer !


Yes, if the marriage was legal in Poland it will be recognized by the US government. He will have to file a petition for you first and you will have to apply for an immigrant visa at the US Consulate. Once you are granted an immigrant visa you can come to the US and you will be able to live in the US and work legally.

Answers given on this site are general advice only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.



Thank you so much for the answer


Yes your marriage will be legal in the US but you cannot come live in the US untill your husband petitions for a greencard (immigrant visa) for you. The process takes about 7-9 months and is complicated and requires proof that the marriage is genuine. Have your husband contact an immigration attorney. It is not a simple process.

Andre Olivie
SEATTLE Immigration Lawyer
Call anytime at (206) 724-1940

Legal disclaimer: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Do not rely on this advice without speaking to an immigration attorney in detail about your case. This message does not create an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with the other, and would be happy to help
Please see link below for more information

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer