Marriage greencard or religious asylum ( i need to add some more words)

Asked over 1 year ago - Louisville, KY

Im from a muslim country ,came to US as a student, converted to christianity and my family stopped supporting me ,and wanting me to go back to the native country in middle east, As you may know there is a death sentence by goverment in Islamic countries, also i am now living with my girl friend ,and want to get married after she finishes her bankruptcy( which she hasnt started the process yet) , so i can file for asylum or wait for marriage , but i dont know which one is the better option for me ,please help
I need to add ,that i dont have money for attorney
i couldnt go to school ,cause my family stopped supporting me ,
I dont even have a cell phone ,i just live with my girlfriend ,and we really want to marry ,but she said after her bankruptcy

Additional information

we want to marry anyway ,even if i would apply for asylum , we want to live together

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Irene Vaisman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Sounds that both paths are credible. Speak with a pro bono organization in your area. I don't think they will do the marriage case but if your asylum claim is strong and compelling, many pro bono organizations will take the case.

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  2. Sasha O. Lazarevich-Sinnott

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can see my answer on your previous post.

  3. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If you need a pro bono attorney in your area you can search for one. Here is a resource from the American Bar Association:

    Also try Catholic Charities Immigration Legal Services,

    Be sure that anyone you speak to has done immigration and understands family based petitions.
    Finally some on Avvo provide low cost or free consultations.
    Best of luck

    No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication. To contact this attorney see his... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,365 answers this week

3,115 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,365 answers this week

3,115 attorneys answering