Marriage for F1 student with a green card holder

Redwood City, CA |

I'm on my F1 visa and my boyfriend has H1b visa last year. His company is applying green card for him. He's expecting to have a green card in the end of this year. We want to marry right after he gets a greencard.
How long will it take me to have a green card? Btw, I'm from Vietnam.
What kind of document should I prepare to help adjust my status?

To prepare, your best bet is to hire a lawyer to assist you and your husband in preparing the paperwork. In the meantime, be sure to review the instructions for the I-485 and I-864. Those will give you good insight and give you a jump start on this.

Couldn't you get married to your BF and have also a GC issued to you at the same time as to him? Ask him to talk to his employer's immigration lawyer about this.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Your better option is to marry him now, and get your green card at the same time that he gets his.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Recommended articles about Immigration