Marriage for F1 student with a green card holder

Asked about 1 year ago - Redwood City, CA

I'm on my F1 visa and my boyfriend has H1b visa last year. His company is applying green card for him. He's expecting to have a green card in the end of this year. We want to marry right after he gets a greencard.
How long will it take me to have a green card? Btw, I'm from Vietnam.
What kind of document should I prepare to help adjust my status?


Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your better option is to marry him now, and get your green card at the same time that he gets his.

    Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Couldn't you get married to your BF and have also a GC issued to you at the same time as to him? Ask him to talk to his employer's immigration lawyer about this.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  3. Christine Swenson

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . To prepare, your best bet is to hire a lawyer to assist you and your husband in preparing the paperwork. In the meantime, be sure to review the instructions for the I-485 and I-864. Those will give you good insight and give you a jump start on this.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,551 answers this week

2,973 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,551 answers this week

2,973 attorneys answering