MARRIAGE ENTERED IN GOOD FAITH BUT NOW ABOUT TO DIVORCE . . . . CAN I STILL GET MY PERMANENT GREEN CARD

Asked over 1 year ago - Marietta, GA

I have been married for 3 yrs now and my husband and i entered the marriage in good faith but after 2 1 / yrs of marriage i found out that he had an affair and had a child outside our marriage . . . i forgave him and things did not end up working out he has been arrested for drugs and probation violation and was mentally abusive to me . . . . . we have been separated since November 2012 and not in speaking terms but i am supposed to file for my satyrs green card to remove conditions in march but we do not have any bills together because we were staying with my mother and she had all the bill in her name but our names were on the lease . . . . he has said he will do everything to make sure i do not get my green card and also wants a divorce . . . . what should i do ? ?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

15

1

Answered . If you have a two-year green card, you should get a divorce and file an I-751 waiver application.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Alena Shautsova

Pro

Answered . I agree with my colleague. You should consult an experienced immigration attorney for this matter. You may schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer in your area, my firm is handling these matters in New York. If you would like free legal updates on these immigration issues you may sign up for our newsletter at http://www.shautsova.com .

3. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

6

Answered . I agree with my colleague; I would add the key is your statement you made that you entered into the marriage in good faith. I would also be sure to contact an attorney well BEFORE expiration of 2 year period, i.e. at least 90 days BEFORE your I-751 is due, so it can be filed (or a waiver can be filed for the I-751 in a timely fashion). Do NOT miss the I-751 deadline.

4. David Nabow Soloway

2

Answered . I am sorry to learn of your husband's abusive conduct and his threat to try to stand in the way of successfully removing the condition on your Conditional Resident status. The USCIS is familiar with U.S. citizens trying to use such threats to intimidate and hurt their spouses or former spouses, notwithstanding that the U.S. citizen will have twice sworn under oath (in the original petition and at the interview) that the couple lived together in a bona fide marriage. Nonetheless, following a divorce, a foreign national may succeed by herself and without her husband in applying to remove the condition.

In your circumstances it sounds like it will be particularly challenging to get the type of documentation necessary to persuade a skeptical USCIS adjudicating officer of the bona fide nature of your marriage. An immigration attorney, upon learning significantly more details, would be able to advise you of the best possible evidence to seek in your case, and that might include coordinating with the domestic relations/divorce attorney you engage to represent you and to protect your rights in a divorce. Especially if being able to remain in the U.S. is a very high priority for you, It would be wise for you to engage both a domestic relations attorney and an immigration attorney without delay.

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

David N. Soloway
    Frazier, Soloway & Kennedy, P.C.
    1800 Century Place, Suite 100
    Atlanta, Georgia 30345 www.fspklaw.com
    404-320-7000 * 1-877-232-5352 * dsoloway@fspklaw.com

5. Haroen Calehr

Pro

3

Answered . you got your work cut out for you. You must be able to garner as much as possible evidence of all the facts and allegations you make in your question to overcome your lack of evidence of cohabitation and proof to USCIS that you did enter the marriage in good faith and that he caused the marriage break-up.