Marriage Certificate when submitting I-485 Form

Asked over 1 year ago - San Gabriel, CA

I am applying for my green card now. When I submit I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status, can I just make a copy of my Marriage Certificate and use it, or I'll have to submit the original one mailed by my county, as the supporting document for I-485?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Submit a copy. Bring a certified copy to your interview.

    Please click the link below for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Elizabeth Ann Kohler


    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . It is fine to submit a clear copy of the original certificate. You should bring the original document with you to your interview for the officer to inspect.

  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . What do the form instructions tell you to do? The answer is in there.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,372 answers this week

3,386 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,372 answers this week

3,386 attorneys answering