Marriage Certificate when submitting I-485 Form

San Gabriel, CA |

I am applying for my green card now. When I submit I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status, can I just make a copy of my Marriage Certificate and use it, or I'll have to submit the original one mailed by my county, as the supporting document for I-485?

1. It is fine to submit a clear copy of the original certificate. You should bring the original document with you to your interview for the officer to inspect.

2. What do the form instructions tell you to do? The answer is in there.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

3. Submit a copy. Bring a certified copy to your interview.

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Marriage and prenups topics